Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Just keep swimming...

Last week, I hung out in a pool with some girlfriends. Typically, I am very lazy when I "swim" and only stand around and talk or maybe wade around a little bit. This time, I decided to try to be a little more active.

My sister and a friend climbed out of the pool so they could run and jump in. "I'm coming too!" I said pulling myself up out of the pool. I ran, I jumped, and swam back to the surface. I then felt a pulling in my leg and realized that I had dislocated my hip. I tried to swim it off, but it ached for several minutes.

After recovering from the dislocation, I decided to do a handstand in the water. I held my breath, went under, and pushed myself up into a handstand. It was going well, until I lost my balance and flipped over. Anytime I am upside down or flip suddenly, my heart palpitates and I become disoriented; this was no exception.

After this, I decided to take it easy for awhile. I swam around a little, talked with friends, and just enjoyed the weightlessness and pain free feeling I have when my body is submerged in water.

Then we decided we just had to create a wave pool. So we began jumping up and down in the water, splashing, having fun, and making huge waves. But after a few big jumps, my bad knee decided that it had had enough  It quickly gave out, popped, and the pain hit.

After this, I decided I just can't do anything fun... but not really. I just realized that I have to take it easy. I have to think of my bad knee, my dislocating hips, and my frail heart. I have to realize that I can't do what everybody else can. I have to know when to stop, when to rest, and when I have had enough. I'm getting there...slowly.

But whatever currently ails me, I know I have to keep pressing forward. Whether that is running, walking, crawling, or from a wheelchair, I'll keep on moving.

"When life get's you down, you know what you gotta do? Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming, swimming, swimming..."


No comments:

Post a Comment