Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Where I'm from

Where I'm from poetry has become the latest fad in high school class rooms across America. Seeing these poems made me want to attempt to write one. So here goes.

I'm from Kentucky
where the fields are full of cows 
and driving behind tractors is an every day occurrence.

I'm from hospitals 
where medical tests and conditions are both labeled with letters.

I'm from volleyball 
where team work is crucial 
and culottes are the standard dress.

I'm from convention
where your clavicle is covered 
and you abide by the six inch rule.

I'm from Barbie dolls
where you can be who you want to be while wearing 100 pairs of shoes.

I'm from homeschooling
where parents are overprotective, 
social skills are low, 
and self motivation is high.

I'm from heart conditions 
where red is the color proudly worn.

I'm from giraffes 
where being awkward is okay 
and learning to walk just takes a little longer.

I'm from EKU 
where Daniel Boone stands tall 
and everyone knows the power of maroon

I'm from church 
where the youth group are your best friends, 
potluck dinners are a delicacy, 
and vacation bible school is the highlight of your summer.

I'm from kitty cats 
where having 13 kittens at once doesn't make you a crazy cat lady 
and squeezing them too hard results in terrible consequences.

I'm from astronomy
where you know the difference between a constellation and an asterism 
and journal about it with your daddy.

I'm from adventure 
where road trips are often 
and you never know what's coming next.

I'm from zebras
where stripes are invisible, 
but scars are not.

I'm from 4-H 
where Jabez is home 
and everyone bleeds green.

I'm from sisterhood 
where only she understands your parents like you do, 
late night talks are mostly about boys,
and making chocolate milk happens in your mouth.

I'm from a selfless mama 
where late night projects are her specialty 
and driving across the state occurs weekly.

I'm from a sweet daddy
where cats are the funniest thing on earth,
cheering you up when you're crying is done by telling corny jokes, 
and an obscure, new hobby pops up annually.

I'm from a funny brother-in-love
where I have my own personal hitman 
and everyone laughs at biscuits and mustard.

I'm from friendship 
where secrets are shared, 
jokes are made, 
and you always have a shoulder to cry on.

I'm from Jesus 
where sins are forgotten 
and love is unconditional.

I'm from everywhere
where experiences make you who you are
and there is no one you would rather be.



No comments:

Post a Comment