Thursday, February 19, 2015

Snowed in = slow down.

I've been awake since 6:30 am.
I can't breathe because of my sinus infection (which I get every two months).
My legs are aching because, yesterday, I decided to actually get out of bed.
My head is throbbing from a lack of sleep.
My stomach is turning because being up before 8 am always created nausea.

So I turn on Netflix.
I sit in the bathroom for a half hour.
I lay in bed, wishing I could go back to sleep.
I share saltine crackers with my cat.
I blog.
Because what else can you do?

While many of you have been complaining about the snowy tundra that has taken over our Kentucky home, I have secretly been thankful for the "bad" weather. See, I don't let my illnesses slow me down. If school is in, I am there. If my activities are on, I participate full force. I only stay home when the physical pain of getting out of bed is greater than emotional pain of missing out on life.

I started feeling bad Saturday night with sinus issues. (Which could be fixed more easily if my doctors would only listen to me, but that is another story for another day.) Sunday, I was having difficulty breathing and sniffled all through church, but I was fine. When school was canceled for Monday, I was happy because I was thankful for a day to rest. I woke up Monday, around noon, feeling awful. I barely left my bed all day. Tuesday was basically the same story. Yesterday, I finally felt well enough to clean my room and bake, but apparently it was too much for my body to handle.

I literally cannot leave my house because of the weather. It is just now a possibility, but with the sub-zero temperatures today, I think I will stay inside. I've never heard of a university canceling classes for a week, but I am so grateful for the time off. I know I am sick for a variety of reasons: the ever-changing Kentucky weather, my inability to rest, my overwhelmed schedule, my weak immune system, and the millions of germs going around right now.

If I would have had a normal schedule this week, I know I would have been much sicker. I would have been miserably gone to class, work, Bible study, church, SAA, and other activities. Sometimes, I think God provides these opportunities to make me slow down. Maybe He didn't flood the entire state in snow and close down a university just for me, but I still count it as a blessing.

Don't feel bad for being lazy while you're snowed in. Rest, relax, bake, watch Netflix, play with your cat, take a bubble bath, do whatever makes you feel better. Never feel bad for taking care of your body and for enjoying the slower times. They don't happen too often.



No comments:

Post a Comment