Tuesday, March 5, 2013

I just need a little clarity.

Have you ever prayed for God to show you the right door to walk through, the best path to take, or the best decision to make? Yeah, me too. But sometimes the more I pray for clarity, the more confused I become. Lines blur together, my head and heart fight over what to do, and I just want to give up. I beg God to show me the "right" decision never even considering that maybe I am not going to get a clear answer...

"When the brilliant ethicist John Kavanaugh went to work for three months at "the house of the dying" in Calcutta, he was seeking a clear answer as to how best to spend the rest of his life. On the first morning there he met Mother Teresa. She asked, "And what can I do for you?" Kavanaugh asked her to pray for him. "What do you want me to pray for?" she asked. He voiced the request that he had borne thousands of miles from the United States: "Pray that I have clarity."

She said firmly, "No, I will not do that." When he asked her why, she said, "Clarity is the last thing you are clinging to and must let go of." When Kavanaugh commented that she always seemed to have the clarity he longed for, she laughed and said, I have never had clarity; what I have always had is trust. So I will pray that you trust God." (walk-this-way.com)

Wow. Just wow is all I have to say. When I was struggling with a very difficult decision, this story was told on K-Love radio. Even though I have never heard God speak in an audible voice, I firmly believe He uses other people and things to speak to my heart. 

So while I may still not have the clarity I am looking for, I can have peace and trust in the One who made me and knows my heart. I may not always get an immediate answer, but I always have hope of God's plan falling into place, one step at a time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment