Friday, October 5, 2012

How are you feeling today?

"Stacie, how are you feeling today?"
"Are you okay?"
"How was your last appointment?"
"Did you get good news?"

These are questions I hear on a daily basis. And when people ask these I sometimes want to respond with:

"I feel terrible, just like everyday."
"No, I am not."
"It was boring and left me with more questions and more tears."
"No, but I usually don't."

But usually I just respond with:

"I am feeling pretty good, thanks!"
"Yes, I am fine. Are you okay?"
"It went pretty well."
"Well, I don't know if I would say good news, but it's okay!"

I used to get SO tired of answering these questions. But then I realized that people only ask because they care. So I have started giving more truthful answers with a little bit of happy laced in. (Nobody likes people who sulk about their problems.) Knowing that people sincerely want to know how I am feelings makes me feel loved. It makes me feel like I can honestly say, "You know, I am not having the best day" or "I just don't feel well today." And it's okay. 

But what is always interesting is the other person's response to whatever I tell them. Sometimes people say "I'm sorry you have to deal with that", "Oh wow, I don't know how you are so happy with that going on", or "Well...that's good?". But my all time favorite is "I'm praying for you." Knowing that someone else is taking time out of their busy schedule to talk to God on my behalf is an extremely touching and humbling feeling. It hits me in a certain way that people's sympathy, kind words, and understanding nods just can't touch. The fact that people spend time talking to our Heavenly Father about me and my health is just an extremely calming thought. 

I am so thankful for the people in my life who care enough to ask me these questions and spend time in prayer on my behalf. I am especially thankful for the sweet and caring girl who I had this conversation with today:

"How are you feeling today, Stacie?"
"Oh, I am really tired, but besides that I am pretty good today."
"Well that is good and I am praying for you."



"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." 
                                                                                                                                      -Philippians 4:6-7




No comments:

Post a Comment