Saturday, October 27, 2012

Just keep breathing.

Lately on KLove, I have been hearing this new song about a girl fighting her struggles and how she asks for God's help to keep going. Of course, this relates to me as does any song about struggles. But this one especially hit me. I tried finding out the name of the song, but decided to just wait until I heard it again.

On Tuesday morning, I awoke at 9:09am feeling terrible. My class starts at 9:30 and it takes me twenty-five minutes to drive to campus, park, and walk to class. Yeah and I still had to at least brush my teeth and put some clothes on. I got ready as quickly as I could, drove quickly (and carefully) to campus and power walked to class. The entire drive and walk, I was praying. Not praying to make it on time or for my professor to understand, but just praying God would physically give me strength to make it through the day because I felt that bad. I made it into the classroom at 9:45. Not bad, or so I thought. 

After class, my professor said "You were late. Come talk to me." I tried to explain to my Colombian professor that my medical issues had really been bothering me lately which had caused me to be late. (Truth.) He replied back with something along the lines of, "I need documented proof, I don't care, and this isn't high school anymore." Being the extremely sensitive person that I am, I quickly left the room and immediately tears streamed down my face. A special someone met me after class to calm me down and I just sat outside of the campus bookstore and tearfully sputtered off my sad story. While sitting there one of my new friends walked by and with a very concerned look on her face bent down to the bench where I sat with my head in my hands and asked if I was okay. Of course I couldn't exactly say yes. We both had to get to class so she went on saying she would text me later. I hugged my special someone and wiped away my tears as I walked to my next class. "This is going to be a long day", I sadly thought. 

My next two classes went by fairly uneventfully, with the exception of one professor cussing out the class and angrily leaving the room... but that is a different story for a different day. My friend that saw me crying on campus earlier texted me during my last class asking if I was alright and if she could treat me to Orange Leaf after class. I had a lot to do that afternoon, but I knew I needed a friend so I happily agreed to go with her. We met soon after and immediately my friend offered a hug and bought my chocolate cherry cheesecake frozen yogurt combination. As we sat eating our frozen yogurt, I poured out the story of my day and told her of my various medical problems. She is a fairly new friend so she had not yet heard of my issues. She nodded sympathetically and offered some kind words. We continued eating and talking just about life, school, church, friends, and whatever else came to mind. I knew that my new friend was a Christian, but we hadn't discussed our faith much since we had only hung out a few times, but I was so happy with what happened as we left.

We finished up our froyo, threw away our trash and headed to the parking lot. Once we made it to my car, my friend pulled her Bible out of her purse and said she really wanted to share a Bible verse with me. She read a verse from Isaiah, but I couldn't see what chapter or verse number it was. It said:

"Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

What a comforting verse! I thanked her, we hugged and then we both went on our way. As I pulled out of the parking lot feeling very relieved and thanking God for my new Christian friend, I turned on KLove. And what did I hear but the song I mentioned before. But this time it wasn't just the song, but the story behind it. The artist shared that she suffered with some issues when she was younger and had to ask God daily just for the strength to keep breathing. She said her inspiration came from the verse Isaiah 41:10. She recited the verse...

"Fear not, for I am with you;
Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand."

"Well isn't that strange", I thought. "That sounds A LOT like the verse my friend just read to me!" The more I thought about it, the more I was sure it had to be the same verse. I texted my friend and sure enough the verse she had read to me was Isaiah 41:10! "Wow, what an awesome God!" was all I could think about. Wow, wow, wow. How blessed am I that God cares about even the smallest things in my life? Just the fact that I was having a bad day was enough for Him to bring so much comfort to me through a song, a new friend, and His inspiring word. I call moments like these my "Wow God Moments." And this was indeed a Wow God Moment! 

I finally figured out what the song was called and I can't stop listening to it. It is a song that describes how I feel so perfectly sometimes. And now it is a song that reminds me of Isaiah 41:10 and God's wonderful love for me. I just can't get over that no matter what God gives me new mercy each morning, never ending grace, and unconditional love. 

Just wow. 



Need you now by Plumb:




No comments:

Post a Comment